He said... She said... aka The Jeff and Amy Show

What is in a word?

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Possible success

There is an amazing paradox in life. You can do things while holding a child that might get you institutionalized without them. For example you can sing, spin, bark like a dog , or even do the chicken dance, and people think "Oh how sweet". Trust me, if you do this while alone, people move away, and wonder if they should contact authorities. I do use my children at times in difficult moments. One of those moments was the other day. There is an elderly man in our neighborhood and, like Jeff says, he possibly originated the evil eye. He does NOT seem fond of Jeff or I. He will not even respond to us when we speak to him. However, he will respond to our children. For this reason (and that I am a big chicken) I asked Cooper if he wanted to walk to the corner store for an ice cream (I did feel bribery might be in order). I told him we were going to go pass the guy in our street and give him a high five. Our reliable elderly neighbor was standing in his normal spot, shirtless, and not smiling. We approached him, and I said "Good evening...Hey Cooper let's give him a high five." I held up my high five... he half way raised his hand... and I gave him the saddest high five of my life. There wasn't much contact. It didn't really matter because he was mostly ignoring me and looking at Cooper. Cooper held up his high five. The man asked, "What is he wanting?". I said "A high five. Like this", and I gave Cooper five. We stood there for a moment. Cooper had his hand up ready for a high five and he poked it with his finger. I said "Have a good evening". He smiled and chuckled and we walked away. Cooper said as we walked away "He does NOT know how to give a high five". When we were far enough away, I started giggling and laughed at moments for the rest of the night. I wonder what our little Mexican shirtless street neighbor thinks of us now, but it has to be better. We did get him to smile

We hope you are all reaching out and touching someone.

9 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Blogger The Harris Family said...

Amy, That is the coolest thing I have read in a really long time. What a great job you are doing with teaching your little one to love.

We are talking about coming to Mexico for the Toluca 15 year anniversary weekend. The dates are Oct 5-7. How far is Toluca from where you guys are? We are thinking about staying a week, the Oct. 4-11. What do u think about us all getting together? We are thinking about staying a day or so in Mexico City, do the tourist thing. I have never been to Mexico at all, my AIM class had the trip cancelled that year. I get a lot of raised eyebrows from AIM type people who cannot believe that I still haven't been down there. I don't think we will bring Sam, he wouldn't remember the trip anyways, but for sure Emma and Cora will come.

Do you ever talk with Kari Vinson? I don't think I have heard anything about what she has been up to for awhile.

Not much else is going on around here. Sam and I took the cat to the vet this morning. I am eating taco soup for lunch and Sam is watching a show. Just a normal good day for us. I hope you have a great day. Talk to you soon.

Michelle

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, you and the word "institutionalized" together is just far too easy.
We sure did enjoy our visit with you guys. I like your gimme five plan. Keep making'em smile.

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, you and the word "institutionalized" together is just far too easy.
We sure did enjoy our visit with you guys. I like your gimme five plan. Keep making'em smile.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! The next time someone attempts to give me a high five I'm gonna poke 'em like shirtless Mexican neighbor dude!

No doubt you made his day.

You made mine! :-)

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle did you know my comment in the Reach out and Touch Someone post, the one before this one, I said No you will not have to wrestle in your underwear. That was directly related to a comment Jason made on Tim's blog?
Paul you always have the nicest things to say to me. I am also reading The Alchemist.
Angie you are going to have to e-mail Jeff he is not playing our game.

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harris'... We are about 7 hours from Toluca, however, there are some places inbetween we can meet. Oct. is a good month.

Amy... "not playing"? I'm working... wow... maybe we should move back in together or something.

Paul.. check your internet connection... i'm catching an echo.

Angie.. just make sure you poke his hand.

Love you all and it is so refreshing to hear from all of you... it's really fun.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger flee said...

That is so awesome! Amy you rock and so does Cooper. Thanks for posting that. I haven't worked up the courage yet to high five someone, but have helped people this week at Walmart...very fun and interesting in AR. Hope you guys are good and loving being able to feel somewhat connected to you thru this blog!

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

If things don't work out with Daniel, I'm holdin' out for Cooper! I LOVE him!!!!!

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found out about this blog page, so I am little late getting on board. I'll take the challenge. I don't know who I will "high 5" yet, but I'll be thinking about it. I'll let you know later how it turns out.

How about giving your new neighbor, Mr. Rogers, a high-5?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home