He said... She said... aka The Jeff and Amy Show

What is in a word?

Thursday, March 01, 2007

How I met Jeff

Jeff and I met at a church camp in New Mexico. I was 12 and he was 15. I watched him from afar the whole week. He was funny and friendly. He was preppy but not really pretentious. At camp fire I would look for him and hope that accidentally he might sit with me. Well he never did, but I had made other friends and we had fun.
On Friday night of camp they did a special dinner. The boys were matched up with the girls and one by one the boys came (were sent) to the recreation area to pick up there assigned "dates". I begged not to have to participate, as did several of both genders. There was no getting out of it. As a young girl it was a little terrifying for me. As the numbers of girls dwindled I was becoming uncomfortable. Then came the realization...I was the last girl, and they had matched me with no one. I felt embarrassed and stupid. "Can I please just go to my cabin?!". Several boys had taken more than one date since the girls out numbered them, so it was decided to send a boy back for me that only had one date...More embarrassing. I really wanted to cry, but I am good at playing tough. You guessed it. They sent back Jeff. He was really sweet to me, and made me forget how stupid I felt. His other date was blond, pretty and older, but Jeff was nice to us both. He made me feel special, and I thought I was in love. I tried to talk to him after our "date", but he dismissed me pretty quickly. It was obvious I was getting a cold shoulder. At one last attempt, I wrote him a note on our last day. He wasn't rude but he never responded.



That... is what SHE said.....
This... is what I say (enter Jeff)...
First off, unfortunately, I have to agree with most of the story cause I don't remember much about it. I do remember having preppy clothes (but my Mom still dressed me) and I was way to important to be pretentious. OK... on a serious note Amy may have felt ignored or "dismissed" but let's look at the reality of the situation. When a man is 35 and his wife is 32... it's ok, when a man is 25 and his wife is 22... it's ok, when a man is 21 and his wife/girlfriend is 18... depending on the man... it's ok too, but when a teenage boy is 15 and in high school and a girl is 12 and in elementary school... it just can't be justified... at least not from the view a 15 year old high school kid. All of this aside, not only do I remember Amy and that night with two dates, I still, to this very day... have the note that she wrote to me. I kept it all those years (I used it to track her) and it was one of VERY few that I kept through my life. You know you didn't keep very many notes from camp, and if you did, it was from people you liked or hoped to see again someday. I not only got to see Amy again... I have the privilege to see her every day of my life. I love you Amy with all my heart and thank you for doting on me... now I get to dote on you.

Camping anyone??

5 Comments:

At 3:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very very sweet! People say that teenage love is just silly and will never last...Here's to proving them wrong!! You and Jeff defy the odds of making love work and flourish at such a young age. God is good and is guiding our steps even when our hearts are such tender shots! Love to you...

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger tim rush said...

Great story... loved it.

But after reading Heather's comment, I'm thinking you guys need to write "the rest of the story". ...LCU et all.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger The Gearharts said...

In light of the sweet comment... thank you Heather, and the rest of the story comment... thank you Tim, we have decided that soon you will hear... "The rest of the story"
Good day.

 
At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys shared that. I mean, I knew you had the camp connection, but I never knew the story. So I'm EAGER to hear more - even the stuff I think I know well - from your POV.

You have to include swing dancing at the Watson! AND at the Cactus Theater! You guys were the funnest couple ever (besides me and Selandra! Ha!)

I sure do love you both. I surely do.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

I love to hear a couple's "story". And even though I've heard yours before, its fun to read about again. Be sure to save a copy for your kiddos. Our kids regularly ask to hear how Mom and Dad met. I can't wait to read the rest of your story...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home