He said... She said... aka The Jeff and Amy Show

What is in a word?

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Who am I

I am a little nervous making posts about health, but it is my blog so you have entered the world of Amy's opinion. It is not a salvation issue and I may be the last person that should be saying anything about it.

This is who I am in a Health view:
I am 33 years old. My father died at 50 of cancer. My mother is always ill. My older brother is an insulin dependent diabetic with many difficult health issues (love my family's guts). I am a registered nurse and have a bachelors in nursing. I worked at a local hospital UMC for 3 years in the emergency room, children's home, contracted with an insurance company, little time (best time) at a nurse practitioners office. I have 3 children that are 37 months from the birth of my first to the birth of the last one. (My husbands favorite joke is, We got cable so she will be our last). After the birth of my first daughter I was severely anemic and was sent to a hematologist. I also developed high thyroid and later low thyroid problems. During my third pregnancy I was tired of feeling bad. I wasn't sick but I felt so unwell. We began drastic health changes. After some time we were on a diet of mostly raw fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Our families thought we had lost it. I felt so well, it went undetected that I was severely anemic in the last weeks of my pregnancy. (H and H of 8 and 29) My midwife refused to deliver me if I wasn't eating meat. We had a healthy baby girl. I recovered and eating habits changed, we eat meat but we still have lots of fruits and vegetables. We moved to Mexico, and I had a string of illnesses. One was typhoid (which I did have a vaccine for before we left the states) . I was not really hospital sick. Just overwhelming waves of not feeling well. I was having struggles with anemia again. I couldn't seem to balance out. It seemed to take a year to kind of recover, and then I was alright but never feeling great. I want to feel great. I think I eat pretty well, but maybe I am still deceiving myself. After years of wise people telling me to try taking some good quality vitamins I have started to do that...this week (It took me a while to find one I thought was good, but that is a whole other blog).

I revealed all of that to say.... I am finding things about health that I think applies to everyone. I find these things because I am struggling to be healthier..to feel healthier. I have read things Angie and Kristi have said about being Godly stewards and issues about environment. I believe we have a responsibility to make conscious effort to take care of the Earth. I also believe God is love and has deep love for us, and if our body is 'a holy temple', then we have a responsibility to ourselves. I don't want to make anyone feel guilty ( I don't want to feel guilty). I just thought I would make a couple of posts about food....type things.
Questions - Comments - Or Testimonies

5 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Raders said...

Amy,
Its good to have you back in Lubbock. Reading your account (especially about all the health issues you had in the midst of having kids) sounds similar to what has happened with Leah. We also have radically changed our diet. We have a Vitamix and grind our own wheat for bread, stay away from Corn Syrup (as much as is possible these days) and refined sugar, and make LOTS of smoothies.

We also have 3 kids (all boys). We'd love to reconnect with you some time. I know we saw each other at the Koffee Kup last year, but I'm working for SIBI now. We'll try to call you later.

Jeff

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger The Harris Family said...

Ok, I have remembered my username and password for google, so I can comment on your comment from my comment on your blog!!

Is the cookbook have a pink cover? I have that too! Except, I think it is way to much work to bake, steam, puree, bag and freeze, so I just use organic baby food. It is so easy, it comes in the jar in 1/2 cup servings and that is typically what that cookbook calls for. Last night I made turkey sloppy joes and I threw in a jar of sweet potato and a jar of winter squash. Since my kids love carrots I just chop those up an throw them in. EASY!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger The Gearharts said...

Jeff
Wow so good to hear from you. And wow 3 boys. We don't grind our own wheat, but I would love to talk to you about that. However we are pros at making smoothies. Is Leah better of still kind of in the battle? Battle of health, because I am sure with three boys she has some battles:) We look forward to talking to you.

Michelle
Wow we have the same cook book, and thanks for the advice. I had not even thought of doing that. Making good choices for your kids becomes a little overwhelming at times. I have not made any dishes from that book do you like them personally? Do you keep it a secret from Jason what is in it too...so he will eat it?

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger La Pistolera said...

Shaklee! Amy the best in the West! Miss ya!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Lalo & Jamie Rocha said...

Hi Amy...since we left to mexico the first of Feb, I have been out of the link and am soooo sorry that I didn't meet you at the Lib. If you can this monday march 3rd I would love to!!!! Liam is asking about my "friend and that boy" :) I shall be checking my Blog better!!!! Love ya girl jamie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home