He said... She said... aka The Jeff and Amy Show

What is in a word?

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Happy Passover

Today is Passover. It is a day for God's power to be shown and slaves to be set free.
I was reading an article in the news paper yesterday. It was very interesting and encouraging, and the fact that I am near that era in my daily bible reading just brings it into my heart more. The Era or reminder...that God is still the I AM, and does still set slaves free. For some that freedom comes in an instant for others it is a process (of the wilderness). I am going to quote Rabbi Hollander from the article I read " Each spring we are called out to our destiny to live as free people, and to work on a better world, which in the Jewish tradition is to be in a relationship with God"

They also gave a list of the symbolism of

Pesach (Passover) Feast
  • Matzah, a flat, unleavened bread, reflects haste when Israelites fled Egypt.
  • Bitter herbs (maror) represent the bitterness of slavery.
  • Nut and fruit paste represent bricks and mortar slaves used to build cities in Egypt.
  • Shank bone of lamb recalls lamb killed at the first Passover.
  • Salt water, a reminder of the tears of slavery
  • Egg symbolizes sacrifice.
  • Vegetables represent spring.
And the "Ma Nishta-na" is where the youngest child asks "why is this night different from all other nights?" This is where they use the senses of sight, hearing and taste to tell the story of there nation being freed from slavery.



We are all on a journey, and God is the Hero of my story too.

8 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger flee said...

Hey friend...

I wanted to comment on the things you wrote about in the previous post. I just read through the comments. I have to say that we really make it harder than it was ever intended to be I think. God wants us to be good stewards of our bodies. And I think in general, he meant for all things to be done in moderation. I know, easier said than done...especially if you like ding dongs!!! I think we have been given the responsibility to take each new day that he gives us, thank him for it, and do our best to make good choices throughout the day....with food, with our time, money, conversation, jobs, etc. I struggle with the same thing though. At the beginning of this year, I was really convicted to make some changes. I've done good on some days and not so great on others. Through it all, I've discovered that I am definitely an emotional eater. So...it's a challenge. The stuff Kristi has been writing about is really getting to me. I haven't told her yet. I'm afraid of some of that information. But I believe if the Holy Spirit moves us, we must follow. And he gives each of us our "spiritual secrets" for the moment that may only be meant for us...like you mentioned.

I'm thankful for your heart. Keep sharing it here. I love you!

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Amy, I love learning about Hebrew origins. I love understanding more about my spiritual heritage. It makes Christ's coming all the more poignant to have greater insight into what it meant to those waiting for Him, for me anyway. Lovely post, girl.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger The Gearharts said...

Flee Thank you for your insight. It is hard to make changes, and it is definitely a process. We all have our own challenges, but it is good to be on a journey together. It is good to have friends like you.

Lisa I totally agree. I watched a video I think you would enjoy
http://video.yahoo.com/network/100284668?v=2382595&l=3774737

I am so blessed to know so many amazing people. One might say you were yummy :)

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Su said...

Hey! I recognise that spam!

So, do you all celebrate Passover, or did you just happen across that article?

I love that picture.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger The Gearharts said...

Toner Thank you for your visit. I tried to check out your blog page but cannot find your site. Fishes

Su I would love to be a part of a Passover feast at some point, but I cannot say we celebrate Passover. I would say we are conscious of the time and often remembering God's power, the parting of the Red Sea the Israelites in the wilderness, and worshiping and acknowledging we serve the same God....In a way I guess we do celebrate passover. Our God is bigger than a "Church". He is the I Am. I deleted it, but I was going off on a tangent. So smooches cheeky monkey.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Su said...

Jeff? Amy? Where have you gone?

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Malsteem said...

Hey Guys,
Glad to hear that you are back in the states. My the Lord our God bless you in your new adventure.

-Mike J

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can bruit about that I agree with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is stationary a without question as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with delivery of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=windows snapshot makerv2.1.1 / u3 edition / ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you have in the offing not used. Or you functioning the dreary methods of helping of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home